Phantom 4 Battery Cooler #3DPrinting #3DThursday

from Phantom 4 Battery Cooler #3DPrinting #3DThursday
by Jessie Mae

22434cb38a90291794980c9dd5e1ee7f preview featured

Madvampy shared this project on Thingiverse!

I bought my DJI Phantom 4 Pro drone and love it! I even bought 2 extra batteries and the 3 port DJI charging station so I’d always have a charged battery and others charging. Well the one thing with it is that with any LiPo battery that during high discharge the pack gets hot (No not like exploding hot) and when you’re ready to throw it on the charger you have to wait for it to cool off before it will charge (the battery is so smart it won’t even accept a charge until it cools down enough to charge it safely). A major improvement on the Phantom 4 batteries compared to the Phantom 3 batteries is that there are air cooling channels between the LiPo cells allowing faster cooling and also to reduce heat transferred between cells. Well I saw this and thought “Now if I could blow cool air thru these it would cool off faster!” And POOF the idea and final design of the Bat Cooler came to be!

I used a small computer CPU cooling fan I had laying around and cut the JST power plug off it and soldered on a female barrel power connector so I could use a standard 12 VDC wall power supply to power it. I haven’t installed a safety screen on it because it is so small I really don’t think it needs it. The internal fan diameter is 67.85mm so I’m not sure what that makes the total “Fan Size”, the side to side measurement of the fan is 72mm square. The fan is set to blow inwards, in other words the airflow is thru the fan, thru the battery, and out the oval exhaust ports.

See more!


649-1
Every Thursday is #3dthursday here at Adafruit! The DIY 3D printing community has passion and dedication for making solid objects from digital models. Recently, we have noticed electronics projects integrated with 3D printed enclosures, brackets, and sculptures, so each Thursday we celebrate and highlight these bold pioneers!

Have you considered building a 3D project around an Arduino or other microcontroller? How about printing a bracket to mount your Raspberry Pi to the back of your HD monitor? And don’t forget the countless LED projects that are possible when you are modeling your projects in 3D!

Comments