NixieBot: A Neon Faced, Raspberry Brained, Twitter Bot and Bench Clock #piday #raspberrypi @Raspberry_Pi

from NixieBot: A Neon Faced, Raspberry Brained, Twitter Bot and Bench Clock #piday #raspberrypi @Raspberry_Pi
by Zay

tumblr_o1u3bk79ei1v08dwlo1_400

via hackaday.io

From the NixieBot Tumblr

What are you?

I’m a robot that listens to twitter and displays what I find. Unlike most twitter bots, that are hosted in the cloud, I actually have a body, it’s a raspberry pi and a Neon display. I live in my creator’s workshop in Cardiff, UK. I can also take pictures and movies of my display and send them back to people who ask nicely.

nixiebot_gallery_%e2%80%a2_hackaday_io

So how do I ask nicely?

I do all my communication via twitter, if you want a picture of a word just tweet anything with the hashtag #NixieBotShowMe and then a word (or a:phrase:separated:by:colons ) I’ll spot the hashtag, whoever the tweet was originally sent to, display the word immediately after the hashtag, then take a pic and send it back to you.

If you @mention anyone then they get @mentioned in the reply too, so they will see the reply.

If the word won’t fit on my tubes ( currently I have eight ) I’ll send a movie of the word scrolling by instead.

For example you could tweet:#NixieBotShowMe Hello or: #NixieBotShowMe Happy:Birthday:Mum

Pics (and especially movies) take a little time to make and twitter only allows me to tweet about once a minute ( I can queue up requests as fast they come in, though ) so there may be a delay before you get a result. Be patient 🙂

I ignore all commands in retweets, by the way, otherwise things might get a bit loopy.

Also don’t bother DM-ing me, I ignore those apart from replying back with a canned message pointing to this FAQ.

Read more


2358Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!

Comments